Thursday, November 19, 2020

Ben Camino's Ironic Buddhist Meditation #000

 Ben Camino's Ironic Buddhist Meditation #000




Let's build a bridge shall we? 

It's hard enough to know what the Buddha said

let alone what he meant

I trust though that he meant

for me today to read his words -- 

in plainspoken Midwestern American English -- 

sans sanskrit thank you very much

with lots of underlining for adequate inspirational emphasis

on the square iconic eraser board 

in the chiropractor's sterile waiting room 

decorated with bright autumn leaves

and acorns in the four corners of the sacred sign

symbolizing no doubt the Four Noble Truths 

the truth of suffering

the truth of the cause of suffering

the truth of the end of suffering

the truth of the pathway that leads to the end of suffering

about suffering I know only this

I am here to get a massage

I can count on one hand how many massages I have had in my life

(and I have lived long)

unless you count the ones my kids gave me --

mostly by walking or standing on my back

while watching Sesame Street or whatever

Disney video we were consuming in some earlier stage of suffering

so this moment being rare and therefore

rather religious

I was ready I guess for an Indiana-framed 

Buddhist cliché to go along with 

all of the Christian clichés I heave heard, hear now, will hear again

spouted by all these Christian Buddhas -- 

spouting, spitting at me for half a century

one bad cliche deserves another. 

I walked in, said hello to Sadie behind the window

saw the Buddha's message for my moment

and still standing amazed heard the opening screams and congas 

of the Rolling Stones' Sympathy for the Devil

vibrating from the speakers of this healing oasis

Each Morning We

are Born Again. [yah!] What

we do Today is what [congas getting louder]

Matters Most    

                                                ------ Buddha

Please allow me to introduce myself, 

I'm a man of wealth and taste . . . . 

Dazed for a split second of infinity

I realized that I didn't have my phone with me

to record the sutra floating on Sadie's bulletin board 

when Trina the masseuse came in and said 

"come on back, we're all ready for ya!"

Pleased to meet you, 

hope you guess my name . . . .


Trina likes Enya and stuff like that

or at least pretends to given her line of work

anyway(s) I'm pretty sure Buddha liked Enya too and would like Trina for that matter

taking his mind off other graver matters

like dukkha the condition of all existing

dis-ease, primal suffering, the works. 

That music drives me crazy though

and I was about to jump out of my skin --

which was pretty much all I had on given the nature of nature 

and the logistics of soothing the muscles and joints 

of a would-be monk longing to travel the sky in lotus position 

or touch and stroke the sun and moon with tender hands --

when Trina came back in

my gigantic frame safely tucked under some Enya-esque variety of scented blanket

I said thanks a lot for leaving me alone with that alien music

doesn't that creep you out? 

"I could change it" she said

what would you like . . . classic rock? 

Unlike the Buddha quotation

which is obviously a Facebook meme 

everything I have written is true 

except for these final lines

which are true but not in this universe. 

Trina lit the candle and switched the music

and realized she was in a Ben Camino ironic meditation which ends thus as it must -- 

dum dum duh duh dum duh dum dum

dum dum duh duh dum duh dum dum

I Can't get No Satisfaction

                           ------ Buddha, Jagger, Richards

                                                    



No comments:

Post a Comment